Having an attractive smile makes us feel good about ourselves. In fact, it has been shown that a beautiful smile can boost your self-esteem, increase your self-confidence, and improve how other people view you. But for some people, enjoying all the benefits of an attractive smile may seem like an unattainable goal. Countless dental patients from the Cedar Park, Texas area and all across the US suffer from common oral health issues that can ruin the appearance of their smiles – including teeth with wide gaps in between, crowded and/or protruding teeth, underbites, overbites, and crossbites, to name just a few. For decades, the only way to resolve these problems was to wear traditional metal braces for an extended period of time. Many people just weren’t willing to sign up for the embarrassment, discomfort, and hassle that can come with metal braces. Now for the good news: clear plastic aligners can resolve your dental issues with none of the drawbacks associated with traditional braces! One of the most effective is the Invisalign® method. If you’re trying to decide whether or not this treatment is right for you, you’re probably asking, “What are the advantages to the Invisalign® alternative?” Read on for more information about this remarkable dental technology and to find out how you can benefit from Invisalign®.
How Invisalign® Compares to Metal Braces
Most of us are at least somewhat familiar with traditional metal braces. These standard teeth-straightening appliances consist of metal brackets that are attached to the patient’s teeth, and arch wires that connect to the brackets. Slowly, over the course of many months, the pressure put on the patient’s teeth by the wires and brackets move the teeth into straighter positions inside the mouth. There’s no doubt about it – metal braces work, and for some patients, these traditional appliances are still the best choice for a straighter smile. But there are some disadvantages to metal braces, which is why alternative methods for straightening teeth have become increasingly popular over the past several years.
A relatively new technology for resolving minor to moderate dental issues has evolved with the use of clear plastic aligners. And of all the brands on the market today, one of the most effective is Invisalign®. This treatment method involves the patient wearing sets of custom-made, clear plastic aligners that gently move teeth into straighter positions over the course of several months. Just as the name implies, the aligners are virtually invisible. And for many people, they work just as well as traditional metal braces.
Advantages of Invisalign®
There’s no doubt about the effectiveness of metal braces in straightening teeth and leaving the patient with a more beautiful smile at the end of the treatment. But for many patients who have hesitated to commit to metal braces, Invisalign® provides many advantages, including the following.
- Appearance – Clear plastic aligners are virtually invisible to other people. Metal braces can be embarrassing to wear, but Invisalign® and other clear plastic aligner alternatives eliminate that problem altogether.
- No dietary restrictions – People who wear metal braces need to avoid certain foods that can damage and/or get caught in their braces. But because Invisalign® wearers can remove their aligner trays when they eat meals, there are no dietary restrictions whatsoever. So you’re free to enjoy whatever foods you normally would.
- No change in oral hygiene routine – Metal braces can make it very difficult to adequately clean your teeth and gums each day. But since patients can remove their own aligner trays when it comes time to brush and floss, Invisalign® wearers can maintain their usual oral hygiene routine.
- Fewer visits to the dentist/orthodontist – If you wear metal braces, you’ll have to make frequent trips to your dentist/orthodontist to have your braces tightened and/or adjusted. But with Invisalign®, you’ll receive several sets of plastic aligner trays, along with instructions for how long to wear each set. So when you reach the end of one phase of treatment, you simply move onto the next set of aligner trays for the next phase – without having to visit the dentist or orthodontist.
- Comfort – Metal braces can be uncomfortable to wear. Not only can the metal brackets and wires irritate cheek and gum tissue; the tension placed on the teeth after they are periodically tightened by your dentist/orthodontist can leave your teeth sore for some time afterwards. Invisalign® patients, on the other hand, experience very little (if any) pain or discomfort.
- Efficacy – Virtually all dental professionals would agree that metal braces are extremely effective in straightening teeth and resolving a wide variety of dental issues. But Invisalign® has been shown to be just as effective for many of the same problems – including gapped teeth, misaligned teeth, crossbites, crowded teeth, overbites, underbites and open bites. This is particularly true if these issues are minor to moderate in severity.
What Are the Advantages to the Invisalign® Alternative: Conclusion
If you have always wanted a straighter, more beautiful smile, you owe it to yourself to talk to your dentist or orthodontist about the advantages of Invisalign®. So many dental patients have been reluctant to sign up for traditional metal braces, which is understandable considering the issues that come with those devices. But Invisalign® eliminates many of the problems associated with metal braces.
It’s important to remember that as effective as Invisalign® is, it may not be the right choice for everyone. If your dental issues are extreme, your dentist or orthodontist may recommend traditional braces instead of clear plastic aligners. And neither aligner trays nor braces are intended for very young children whose teeth are still in the developing stage.
The only way to know for sure whether Invisalign® is right for you is to schedule a consultation with your Cedar Park, Texas dentist. Just imagine all the advantages that come with a beautiful, straighter smile. Now, imagine achieving that smile without having to wear traditional metal braces! Call your dentist today to find out more about all the advantages of the Invisalign® alternative.