One of the most dramatic changes you can make in the appearance of your smile is with porcelain veneers. This remarkable yet simple technology can transform even the most challenging smile into a thing of beauty! The process is simple and relatively quick, but the results are absolutely stunning. If you live in or around the Cedar Park, Texas area and are considering having this procedure yourself, but are wondering if veneers are permanent solutions, we’ve compiled the following information to explain a little more about veneers and help you decide if this is the right choice for you.
What You Should Know About Veneers
VENEERS: DURABLE, BUT NOT PERMANENT
Are You a Good Candidate for Dental Veneers?
TYPES OF VENEERS AVAILABLE
Generally speaking, there are three different types of veneers available to dental patients:
- Porcelain veneers – The “traditional” type of veneer is made from an extremely thin porcelain material that is applied over the surface of the patient’s tooth. These restorations are custom made for each patient. The process involves the dentist removing an extremely thin layer of enamel before applying the veneer, then making an impression of the tooth, sending that impression to an outside lab for manufacturing, then applying the veneer to the patient’s tooth using dental cement and a curing light. The process normally requires two trips to the dental office. Porcelain veneers usually last between 10 and 15 years, but some can last as long as 20 years if they’re properly maintained.
- Composite resin veneers – Also referred to as “same-day veneers,” these restorations are created in the dentist’s office, while the patient waits. There are some advantages to composite veneers: 1) they can be fitted in a single visit to the dentist’s office, and 2) they are less expensive than porcelain veneers. The downside to composite veneers is that they are somewhat less durable than the traditional type and typically don’t last as long as porcelain veneers. Although it varies from one patient to the next, these veneers usually only last between 7 and 10 years.
- Lumineers – This is the brand name for a type of porcelain veneer that requires no removal of enamel from the patient’s tooth. Lumineers are made from an extremely durable type of porcelain material that is even thinner than the traditional type of veneer. The main advantage of Lumineers is that the structure of the patient’s tooth can remain intact; meaning that once the Lumineers are removed, there’s no need to have the veneers reapplied unless the patient chooses to do so.
BENEFITS OF DENTAL VENEERS
There are many advantages for patients who choose dental veneers, including the following:
- A beautiful smile – Have you ever wondered how celebrities get those perfect-looking smiles? Often, it’s due to dental veneers. If you have veneers applied to all of your visible teeth, you too can have an absolutely gorgeous, perfect smile!
- Stain-resistant – Porcelain veneers help to protect your teeth from staining. That means that you can enjoy a moderate amount of coffee, tea, red wine and other drinks and foods that would otherwise result in badly stained teeth.
- Strength and durability – Veneers are an excellent way to protect your natural teeth. This is especially important if the integrity of the tooth is compromised in some way and would otherwise be susceptible to becoming more damaged.
Properly Caring for Veneers
While it’s true that veneers are remarkably strong, you will need to maintain them properly to help them last for years to come. Fortunately, caring for your veneers is very easy and simply involves the following:
- Avoid chewing hard foods or using your teeth as a tool. This is a good way to protect your teeth even if you don’t have veneers, but it’s also an important way to keep your veneers intact.
- Maintain good oral hygiene. Make sure to brush at least twice a day and floss at least once a day.
- Visit your dentist twice a year. Again, this is important whether you have veneers or not. Visit your dentist at least twice a year for oral exams and professional cleanings. During these visits, your dentist can check the integrity of your veneers to make sure they’re holding up well.
To find out more about whether veneers are permanent solutions, contact your Cedar Park, Texas dentist today and schedule an appointment.